Friday, July 10, 2009

Humbled and Honored

Cambridge American Cemetery
Today we did a bus tour of the city of Cambridge and some of the surrounding area to get a better appreciation for what all was in the city, but mostly because it took us to the Cambridge American Cemetery. On the way out to the cemetery, the tour told us of a couple of notable soldiers that were buried in the cemetery, and I found myself somewhat irritated by that comment. As I see it, there are at least 3810 notable men and women buried in this cemetery that gave their lives for the freedoms that I enjoy today. US men and women probably much younger than I, who fought in WWII for freedom. This 30.5 acres was donated to the United States by Cambridge in 1944.

I still get goose bumps when there is a fly over at any ball game, when the national anthem is sung, when I see stories of soldiers who have returned or those that are being deployed. I was raised with a great appreciation for our service men and women and a respect for what our flag stands for, and for that I am grateful. Many members of my family (grandfather, dad, at least 2 uncles and others) served in the armed forces, and I am grateful for their service. I still have friends and friends of friends that tonight will go to sleep somewhere in this world uncertain if they will see their family again, and for that they deserve our prayers and admiration. I owe my understanding of a grateful heart towards our service men and women primarily to my mom, who is proud to be an American. I know I sound like I am running a campaign, but there is something about seeing the American flag flying in a cemetery full of young men and women who gave their lives that was incredibly moving today, especially on British soil today. It was a little slice of home and I am grateful for that. I will let the pictures speak for themselves below.











Blessings

No comments: