Monday, June 08, 2009

Who will pray for them?

I was listening to a lecture for one of my seminary classes recently and was reminded again of the power of prayer, and yet was left to wonder as well. The story was being told of a young man in his 30's that came to faith in Christ and when the pastor had visited with this man about being faithful to follow through in obedience to Christ in baptism; the pastor asked if there was anyone the young man wanted to call to come witness his public profession and obedience in baptism. This man without hesitation said, I would like to invite my aunt. The pastor probed, why your aunt, our of curiosity. The man told his pastor that he knew that from his birth this particular aunt had prayed that this young man would come to faith in Christ and that she had faithfully prayed for him and shared Christ with him over the course of his life.

As I listened to this story I immediately thought of those people in my life that might have prayed for me; prayed that I would come to faith in Christ and live for his glory. However, I thought more immediately about my family members and wondered who is and has been praying for the salvation of my children. I count it my responsiblity and my privilege to both pray for my children and to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with them as often as possible. In fact, my children can recite the gospel when prompted by questions with remarkable clarity. However, I believe that while they profess a love for Jesus and desire to live forever with Him in Eternity knowing that He died on the cross for their sins and rose again to pay the penatly of death forever; their salvation will prove itself over time as they come to know more about Him. I do not in any way want to discount their ability to profess Jesus as Lord now, but I also believe I will continue to share and reshare the story of the finality of Jesus paying the penalty and satisfying the wrath of God in the face of sin as often as I get the chance.

I pray that I do have family members that are reguarly praying for the salvation of my children just as by writing this I consider it my privilege to pray for the contiual saving work of Christ in the lives of my family members. I am remeinded today of my need to pray for Carter, Kendyll, Ella, Ryder, Lexi, and new babies yet to be born as well as those God has placed in the lives of those children to lead them closer to the truth or by omission of that truth no closer to it.

I believe that while diffcult beyond measure to think about, it would be a great honor to have a child preceed me in death if I knew he/she was secure in their salvation because of the fruit of their lives or the bearing out of it over time; than it would be to have a child out live his parents with no assurance of salvation from that child. I don't think this is my age talking as I am not a child anymore; I think this is the call of a parent to lead his children to Christ if the Lord allows. In my house I pray that it will not be from a lack of effort, and I pray the Lord would allow me the privilege of pouring the truth of His Word over my children as often as I can. I pray too that God would allow me to baptize my children when their lives have shown sustained fruit bearing over time for His glory!

John 14:6, "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

John 6:44, "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him."

My prayer is that the Lord would draw my children, and all of my family to saving faith in Him that is not content to say yes I believe but a faith that is active and pursuing the face of the glory of God in Christ Jesus daily.

Draw them Father....draw them!

No comments: