Saturday, February 16, 2008

Kenya and Martin Update











There is much to report on as we still can't seem to figure out how to update you on a more regular basis....I say you singular because I am all but positive that due to our irregularity in updating our viewer base has disappeared. If you are the faithful one, well done and thanks for checking back. Truthfully, I have ambitions to write more frequently but as you can tell it escapes my mind more than the thoughts are flooding that hollow space. I would like to write on a wide variety of subjects but have yet to do so. In the meantime, here is a simple update on our family.

I have obviously returned from Kenya and it was an amazing trip. There are simply too many stories to tell to do this trip justice in one blog entry. I will point you however to a blog about our trip that our church has compiled from all the team members who have submitted journal entries from our experience. You can find this blog at www.ubcfayetteville.org then click on the link for reach and then missions blog and follow this link to our trip. Here are a couple of takeaways from the trip personally; first, this trip was a complete confirmation that I was were I was supposed to be during the time and life of the Kenya political situation as there were no hospitals or medical facilities open in the area we were serving in and we were there to do a medical missions trip. This confidence I had in being there, confidence from the Lord, was our security while we were in country. There was political unrest, rioting, looting, and demonstrations happening all around us but we were not fearful because our God protected us and we felt His protection and your prayers. Secondly, this trip was a long time coming for me as I have felt led to be a part of one of these trips since Fellowship North started going in 2003 when I still worked in NLR, being there and standing in places I had long dreamed about felt like home, don't worry Mom I don't have plans to move there! However, this like my story of baptism was another step of obedience and obedience felt good. Lastly (for now), the Sunday morning worship experiences we had were awesome as we experienced the same God being worshiped in a different language. Many of the Kenyans have very little but worship God congregationally though He is the only thing they need and rightfully so, while so much of our Western culture has everything we need and more yet we worship God like He is just another thing. God, forgive us for that! Revive our hearts to worship you in spirit and truth as you truly are. I pray God gives me opportunity to go back soon.

Tamara was an amazing source of strength for so many while I was gone, which by the way if you have not noticed she is pretty amazing! Tamara is doing well and staying busy with her "part-time" job. It is fun for me to get to see her enjoying this new adventure and all the challenges that come with it. She is an amazing woman, wife, and mother and I am grateful for her in my life.

Cooper got a major haircut this week and we are still grieving the loss of his curls, though his hair was so thick he barely had any left anyway. However, we are holding out hope that they will return. He is really intrigued with the things of God right now which makes for some amazing conversations. Since it is the the role of the Father to evangelize his own home as well as to lead his family, I count this quite a blessing. Please pray for us as we continue to teach them about the wonders and majesty of our great and awesome God.

Jackson has gone through a little attitude phase but the boy has my heart 99.9% of the time. He is so precious and sweet. He loves school, his big brother, baby sister, reading, eating, and playing with cars. God knew what He was doing when he gave us this little one who loves to snuggle and be loved on.

Kate is learning so much and almost every time she hears a door open she screams at the top of her lungs...DA DA! Honestly, what could be better than that? However, when things aren't going just like she wants it she is looking for Ma Ma. She is so happy and easy going for the most part and is wielding a mouth full of teeth. She loves her big brothers and is changing before our eyes.

We are so blessed with our family and friends and thank you all for sharing in our lives and allowing us to share in yours. God bless and please update us when you have time.

Stephen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so glad you're back (from Kenya and from bloglessness). my efforts at checking back every few days have paid off!